Thursday, October 22, 2009

That's What She Fed

Dear TT,

I love knowing that you, too, bribe yourself into productivity. So far today I have tried to appoint myself the future recipient of fancy lotion, an evening with J at Richmond's new hot spot, and $20 worth of new books. All to no avail. You see, by 7:15 tomorrow morning, I am supposed to be on a plane to Dallas to attend a family friend's wedding.

That's not going to happen, now. Because this is as far as I've gotten in packing:



That's right. Two saris. Both of which I will presumably wear without a blouse, underwear, shoes, or makeup. Apparently I will also not brush my teeth for three days, nor will I wash my face or brush my hair. As far as hanging out in Overdone Cougar, TX during the day? I've recently decided to become a nudist.

Why is it so hard to make oneself do things? I hate packing because of all of the stupid, little, necessary things that need to be accounted for. Deodorant. Night clothes. OPTIONS. I did anything I could today to avoid the tedium of packing: wandered the aisle of Target fingering Tweeny fashions I will never wear, got my entire face waxed and threaded, watched Peanut move half an inch in one hour, stalked my friends on Facebook, and considered just how creatively my mother is going to use curse words in her native Bengali when I call her to say that I can't make it to the wedding. Because I just. Couldn't. Finish. Packing.

The fact that J isn't home this evening because he has a soccer game doesn't help - normally I might be shamed into packing by his presence. Instead, I'm picking at my nails, shaking my head at celebrity fashion, and writing to you. At least I made dinner - though to be honest, that in and of itself was yet another form of procrastination.

We're at the end of our grocery supply for the week, so I could have made either peanut butter and black banana sandwiches, or something with canned tomatoes, rice, and turkey Andouille sausage. Since J gags at the thought of any kind of peanut butter miscegenation, I opted for the latter:



That's What She Fed Jambalaya

1 10-oz. can diced tomatoes
4-5 garlic cloves, minced
1 yellow onion, chopped
1-2 tbls olive oil
a little butter
2 c. long-grain white rice
1 12-oz. packet of turkey Andouille sausage, cut crosswise into thick slices
2 cups chicken stock
1-2 tsp. cayenne pepper, or other spices of your choice
1-2 tsp. smoked paprika

Heat olive oil and a little butter in a pot over medium heat. Brown sausage, about 4-5 minutes. Drain sausage on a plate covered with a paper towel. In the remaining fat, cook onions, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, and cook for a minute longer.

Dump tomatoes and chicken stock into pot, then stir to combine. Add spices, and cook for a minute longer. Add rice, then turn the heat up to high and bring mixture to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 25 minutes or until rice is cooked through. Add sausage to rice mixture and stir.

I made a big pot of it so J would have something to eat both after his soccer game and this weekend. It turned out not too terribly, though I had to doctor my serving with Sriracha and the last little bit of pepper jack cheese left in the fridge.

It is almost 9 PM now, and there is much to be done. In the course of writing you, I've decided to replace my $20 worth of books to a bar of chocolate and trashy magazines to read on the plane tomorrow.

Love you,

TF




No comments:

Post a Comment