Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Girl with the Most Cupcake

Dear Tia T -

I can't wait to hear about your eating adventures in California! In Richmond, it's dreary and humid, so I'm completely jealous of whatever kind of gorgeous weather you're experiencing out there.

I just got back from Texas late last week, bearing with me an unexpected present given to me by my little brother: the flu. Fortunately, it wasn't of the freakishly strong oink-oink variety, so after a few days of exhaustion and copious amounts of Emergen-C laden orange juice sucked through bendy straws, I'm finally back to my normal schedule of eating, cooking, and writing.

While I was in Texas, though, I totally made good use of my access to amazing Tex-Mex:


migas at Magnolia South


(crispy beef tacos at the new Northside Grill in Canyon Lake)

I obviously did go to Magnolia, as you correctly predicted I might, and Polvo's too, though I forgot to take pictures there because I was so overcome at the sight of my enchiladas de la casa. I also had a wonderful visit with my friend Kate and her adorable daughter, so much so that I'm officially adding baby cheeks to my list of favorite things to eat with cupcakes:


(cupcake courtesy of Flipnotics)

Though you have, perhaps rightly so, observed that I'm a horrible person to share dessert with because I eat less than my fair share, I sucked that thing down like the barbarians were upon me right after this picture was taken. Thankfully, I'm back to my reasonably sized meals, which hopefully means soon I will be my reasonably sized self again as well. With that in mind, Sunday's dinner was judiciously healthy, but tasty. I think you could do this with chicken as well as fish, though you might have to brown the chicken boobies on the stove first.

Salmon Baked in Foil (adapted from Everyday Italian by Giada de Laurentis - why does she get to eat gnocchi and be so thin?)

1 can diced tomatoes in juice, drained
one small red onion, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
the juice of one lemon
1 teaspoon dried Herbs de Provence (Giada recommends fresh oregano and thyme, though, which would probably be as good if not better)
salt and pepper to taste
2 salmon fillets

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl, stir tomatoes, onions, oil, lemon juice, and herbs.

In the center of each of two large sheets of aluminum foil, drizzle a little additional olive oil. Place 1 salmon fillet atop each sheet of foil and turn to coat with the oil. Sprinkle the salmon fillets with salt and pepper, then spoon the tomato mixture over the salmon.

Fold the sides of the foil over the fish and tomato mixture, covering completely, and seal the packets closed. Place the foil packets on a large, heavy baking sheet.

Bake until salmon is just cooked through, about 25 minutes. Open the packets and take a picture:




then serve with spinach wilted in butter and garlic.

Can't wait to hear from you -

Love to you and B,

TF

No comments:

Post a Comment