Tuesday, October 13, 2009

T-T-T-Tia!

Tia T -

Oh. My. God. Girl. I'm going to be an actual tia! Tia Fia! And you, a mamacita! I'm so excited I can't stand it. Can't. Stand. It!! Words can't possibly convey how happy I am for you and B. I wish I could be there to help make your cinnamon toast and bark orders at you to stop lifting heavy things! to lie down, because, for pete's sake, if you won't put a wet rag on your head and lie down, I'll do it for you!

Actually, being in a dark room with a wet rag on my head sounds pretty delightful. I might do that forthwith. Right after I revise! For the last time! My Fulbright application!

I've had a lot of coffee. And I'm excited about little Arroz. So forgive the exclamation points.

I love the idea of Arroz demanding food befitting childhood. I must admit, I love all of those foodstuffs you listed, and will add to them a strong fondness for slices of American cheese wrapped in plastic, microwavable packets of apple and cinnamon oatmeal, Kix, and Tang.

I have so many questions! When you wake up from your sleep binges, do you feel rested or still really tired? How long is the morning sickness part supposed to last? Are you really only sick in the morning? Would you get sick at the sight of this?



It was cold and rainy yesterday, and I could think of nothing better to do than to dust off my faded, fleecy hoodie, make a cup of hot tea, and let simmer ground beef with bell pepper, kidney beans, tomato puree, and spices while I took notes towards some new poems and worked on my Fulbright application.

Because J has a strong aversion to beans, I invited my friend Marie to help me eat steaming bowls of chili and cornbread after we both did this grueling workout class. When I tell you that I hobbled through Richmond today like a woman three times my age, I am not exaggerating.

Although apparently I didn't need Marie's help (though of course it was appreciated), since J came home from class and shockingly, SHOCKINGLY, put down an entire bowl of it. Just imagining it again makes me want to weep with gladness...

Simple Beef Chili (adapted from Cook's Illustrated)

(makes 4-6 servings)

1-2 tablespoons vegetable or corn oil
1 medium onion, chopped fine
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
4-6 medium cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tbs ground cumin
1-2 tsp each of coriander, red pepper flakes, dried oregano, and cayenne pepper (more of the cayenne and red pepper if you want it spicier)
1 lb lean ground beef
1 15-oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 15-oz can tomato puree
1 15-oz can diced tomatoes (Ro-Tel would probably be tasty as well)
salt, to taste

Heat oil in large heavy-bottomed nonreactive Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering but not smoking, 3 to 4 minutes. Add onions, bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, coriander, pepper flakes, oregano, and cayenne; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and add half the beef; cook, breaking up pieces with wooden spoon, until no longer pink and just beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add remaining beef and cook, breaking up pieces with wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 3 to 4 minutes.

Add beans, tomatoes, tomato puree, and a few more pinches of salt; bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour. Remove cover and continue to simmer 1 hour longer, stirring occasionally (if chili begins to stick to bottom of pot, stir in 1/2 cup water and continue to simmer), until beef is tender and chili is dark, rich, and slightly thickened. Adjust seasoning with additional salt.

I topped the chili with pepper jack, though you could put so many delicious things in its place: avocado, fresh tomatoes, cheddar. What I loved about this recipe was how pantry-friendly it was; I only had to buy the beef!

I officially have a strong craving for cinnamon toast, so you'll excuse me. But before I attend to that, I just wanted to say that I love you, that I'm so happy for you and B, and that I can't wait to be (officially!) a tia.

Love,

Tia F.

2 comments:

  1. whooooaaaaa! this blog is wonderful! and a total secret to me until i clicked on the link on our ex-pat friend's qatari adventure site. what the heck, friend-o? this is great!

    meanwhile, let's cook something, because then maybe we can manage to get together THIS YEAR. i know you find my veganism culinarily obnoxious, but oh, do i make some kick-ass dahl... also am i a skilled chapati maker!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey lady! glad you're enjoying the blog, and yay for l. maas for linking to it! i'd love to make some dahl and chapatis sometime soon - this weather is perfect for it!

    ReplyDelete