Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Big Bros and Spaghetti

Dear Tia Fia,

I've heard childhood memories are different for each sibling, but apparently J and I share the spaghetti one. Ask him this for me, "What planet is Parmesan from?" If he answers "Uranus" with a doubled-up belly laugh he's for sure my bro. His joke was a favorite repeat on nights my mom labored over her seriously good spaghetti sauce. Ignoring the joke and the green-canned Parmesan, spaghetti nights were always a plus because they made me feel more sophisticated and loved than our jarred-sauce-eating rube neighbors. Now though I join them- not once have I ever made homemade spaghetti sauce. Hanging my head in shame, I hope to redeem myself by making your recipe. It looks easy and yummy.

As a Texas native, I've been pleasantly surprised that Fall is my favorite season. In the past, it's been marked only by school opening and Friday Night Football- a sweaty event with everyone wearing their new autumn school clothes and the temp still reaching 90 degrees. In Chicago, I look forward to the leaves changing, the actual need for a sweater, and being able to cook a soup without my kitchen getting too hot.

Not for dinner, but to reheat for lunches and snacks I enjoyed my cool kitchen by making this soup last night. The recipe calls for kale, but because I have excess arugula I just threw a whole bunch of that in.





Tuscan Bean Soup (adapted from Cook's Illustrated Website)



1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
6 ounces of pancetta, cut up (I always use bacon)
1 large onion, chopped
2 medium celery ribs, chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
8 medium garlic cloves, minced
3 cups of chicken broth
2 cups of water
4 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed well
2 medium bay leaves
1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained and rinsed
1 pound kale or collard greens (I've used lots of different types including spinach and arugula)
1 sprig fresh rosemary



1. Heat oil and pancetta in Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally until pancetta is lightly browned and fat rendered, 6 to 10 minutes. Add onion, celery, and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened and slightly browned, 10 -16 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in broth, water, beans, bay leaves, tomatoes, and greens. Increase heat to high and bring to simmer. Reduce heat and simmer until veggies and greens are full tender. 20-25 minutes.



2. Remove pot from stove and submerge rosemary in stew. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Discard bay leaves and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper. If desired, use back of spoon to press some beans against side of pot to thicken stew. Serve lightly drizzled with olive oil.

I hope you're lip is doing better. I'd advise to stay away from chips and salsa. We'd make a great team. I too am injured after having a little accident with the vegetable peeler. It slipped when I was trying to peel Granny Smiths and ended up peeling my skin off.

I hope you're having a great day.

Love,
TT

No comments:

Post a Comment