Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Whip Cream Kinda Day

Dear Tia Fia,

The weirdest ingredient I ever cooked with? Hmmm. I've racked my brain, but I can't come up with anything out of the ordinary. As a white girl from Central Texas, I'm really into things like burgers, fried chicken, mac and cheese, enchiladas, beans, and cow. Stepping my sneaker out of the culinary box makes my heart pound and not in a good way. Think J, but with a little broader palette. I mean, B has to bribe me to make a vegetarian meal. By the way, he really thanks you for the Eggplant Pizza, without your influence he never woulda got to try it. I usually detest eggplant, but I loved it drenched in olive oil. What's the weirdest thing you ever cooked with? Were you disappointed or did you like it?

My preferred food group is comfort and today I really needed it. For no apparent reason it was the most frustrating day EVER! It started with the way B picked up his fork at breakfast, continued when my shirt didn't feel right on my clavicle and ended when, just because a customer asked, "How are you?", I had the distinct urge to step on his big toe.

Years past, this exasperation would've been cleared up immediately with a smoke, but since I no longer carry around a pack of Camel Lights and a lighter I had to turn to something different. That's when I said to myself, "it's a whip cream kinda day."

Usually I have fruit after a meal. It's light, sweet, and is good for ya, but if I need a treat I whip some cream to dollop on top. It's easy and if you have company over you can call it Chantilly Cream.

Here's the recipe:

1 cup of heavy whipping cream
1-2 tablespoons of sugar
1 tsp of vanilla

1) Put large bowl, beaters, and cream in freezer for 15 minutes.
2) Pour cream in large bowl and using a hand mixer mix on high for about one minute.
The cream will first have alot of bubbles, but then they will start to dissipate and the cream
will then get fluffy and smooth. Try to make sure there are stiff peaks, but don't be too concerned it still tastes good if they are soft.


Gotta go! I hope you have a good day.

Love,
Tia T

1 comment: