Friday, January 29, 2010

Boom Boom Pao

Dear TT,

Your hair has gotten so long! You look so beautiful! Save some sexy mama-ness for the rest of us, T! I want to punch that nurse in the face. I always thought one of the most amazing things about being pregnant is the ready made excuse to eat anything you wanted. I imagine my pregnant self in a floral-patterned mumu, farting and eating ice cream, and totally not caring how I look (or, clearly, smell).

I can completely understand being terrified about having a girl. I've been thinking a lot about the particular relationship a mother and daughter have with each other ever since my grandmother passed. I think one of the most amazing things about being an adult woman is that I think of my mother as both a whole, individual person as well as the woman who gave me birth and, as you wrote, always exemplified that balance between strength and softness. I remember being totally shocked by the realization that my mother had a life before I came into it, though of course it seems so obvious. I can't wait to see that relationship unfold between you and E. Bean. I also can't wait to share with her who you were (are?) before you were her mother.

Speaking of softness, I'm so sad that you're not eating carbs! Though you know, of course, better than anyone what your body wants and needs for yourself and E. Bean. How does she feel about Chinese American food? In addition to being carb-freeily delicious, this Kung Pao Chicken was a great excuse to use the beautiful chopsticks your mom bought us:


In fact, it was with the chopsticks in mind that I went hunting for a recipe that would necessitate their usage. Another important thing E. Bean will learn from you, your mom, and me: the power of accessories. These chopsticks were like a pair of dangly earrings that dictate the rest of the outift.

Kung Pao Chicken for Two (or 2 + a bean)

adapted from Cooks Illustrated

1/2 lb of boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 1/2 tsp dry sherry or rice wine
1 tsp soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp ginger paste (or 1/4 inch fresh ginger, minced)
2 tbs + 1 tsp peanut oil
1/4 cup roasted cashews
1/2 tsp dried red pepper flakes (though I think whole dried red chilies would have been better)
1 tsp cider vinegar (the original recipe calls for black rice or plain rice vinegar)
1/3 cup chicken broth
2 1/2 tsp oyster sauce
3/4 tsp cornstarch
1 small bell pepper, cut into strips
1/2 onion, cut into strips

1. Toss chicken with soy sauce and sherry in bowl, allow to marinate for 10 minutes. Mix garlic and ginger in small bowl, set aside. Mix broth, vinegar, 1 teaspoon of peanut oil, oyster sauce, and cornstarch in another small bowl, set aside.

2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the peanut oil over high heat until just beginning to smoke. Add chicken and cook without stirring for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, allowing chicken to brown on one side. Stir and cook 1 1/2 to 2 minutes more, until no longer pink. Stir cashews and pepper flakes into chicken and continue cooking until cashews have darkened slightly, about 30 to 40 seconds longer. Transfer chicken, cashews, and flakes to a bowl.

3. Return skillet to heat and reheat briefly. Add remaining tablespoon of oil, swirling to coat. Add onions and bell pepper and cook until slightly softened, about 1 minute. Clear center of pan, add garlic-ginger mixture, mash into pan with spoon for 10-15 seconds, then stir into pepper and onion mixture until combined. Stir broth mixture to recombine, then add to skillet along with chicken and cashew mixture. Cook, stirring up any tasty brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan, until sauce is desired syrupy consistency.

My one complaint about this recipe was all the bowls (that had to be washed). I'm making lentil soup tonight, which requires no bowls and one pot.

Looking forward to hearing what you've been up to -

Exes and Ohs,

Tia Fia

No comments:

Post a Comment