Monday, November 16, 2009

Hate- A Four Letter Word

Dear Tia Fia-

That Sausage Lentil soup looks so GOOD. Lentils I don't have much experience with, but sausage is one of my favorites. I am going to try the soup this week- do you make your own beef broth or buy it? The soup and the poem both brightened my day: although we haven't hit super low temps in Chicago, it gets dark at 4:55. We see no sun.

I thought a lot about the KKK after you mentioned them last week; the picture you posted stood in stark contrast to my impression of them as impotent, uneducated, probably inbred, hick hate-mongers who like to appear on Jerry Springer. It's lucky, for them, that those white hoods hide so many IMPERFECTIONS. It's bad, for us, that their headwear demands such feelings of fear and intimidation.

Speaking of hate, I loathe what most Mid-Westerners call Fall Favorites. In this list, I place beets, butternut squash, acorn squash, yams, and any pumpkin foodstuff. I've probably neglected to name them all, but if it's a vegetable and somebody is willing to pour maple syrup on it- Don't get it near me! Really, my thinking is too rigid to include sweet/savory side dishes when all I really want is spicy. But B, the liberal and flexible side of this duo, keeps asking me to include the above in my weekly repertoire. Begrudgingly, I found this tart in Puff Pastry Perfection, another generous gift from my mom. It includes puff pastry (I swear this is the real God's gift to women) and goat cheese. Two things I love and then the squash for B.




Butternut Squash and Farmer's Cheese Tart

1/2 of a 17.3- ounce package of frozen puff pastry, thawed for 30 minutes
3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
12 ounces of butternut squash, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 3/4 cups)
3 garlic cloves, minced
salt
pepper
1/8 teaspoon of allspice
4 ounce of crumbled farmer's, feta, or goat cheese
1 green onion chopped

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface roll out the puff pastry to a 10 inch square. Place pastry on cookie sheet and refrigerate for a least 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet on medium heat melt the butter. Add squash and saute five minutes. Add garlic, salt, and pepper and saute until squash is soft, 1-2 minutes. Stir in allspice and additional salt and pepper to taste. Cool to room temperature. (This can be prepped 2 days ahead if you want to make this a quick week-night meal.)

Preheat oven to 400.

Sprinkle three-fourths of the cheese on the pastry, leaving a 1-inch border. Arrange squash mixture on top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Bake tart for 20-25 minutes or until edge is puffed and golden. Sprinkle with green onion. Serve warm or at room temperature. Makes 4 servings.

Have you tried anything from Puff Pastry Perfection?


Love,
TT

1 comment:

  1. Hah! You said, "Pour maple syrup on it!" I did Tia Fia's sausage lentil thing last night and it was a big hit with my old man. BIG HIT! Watch the time - lentils cook up quite a bit faster than pinto beans. You know I like to do my soups way ahead of time but this one you don't have too. I used 1 box swanson beef broth and then one of the stock (has less salt). I couldn't figure out what kind of wine to put in so, in an unprecedented move, I DIDN'T ADD ANY WINE and it was still great. Love you, Momma

    ReplyDelete